Vittorio Pellegrini talk - IIT Graphene Labs
Two-dimensional based composites for applications in the manufacturing and energy storage sectors
IIT Graphene Labs, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Genova (Italy)
In this talk I shall present our most recent progresses on the large-scale production of two-dimensional (2d) crystals. I’ll present my view on the potential industrial applications on 2d-based composites [1,2] and I will discuss representative applications under investigation in IIT Graphene Labs such as coatings for electrical cables , plastic frames for glasses , motorcycle helmets , foldable biodegradable plastic  and cellulosic graphene biocomposites sensors . In the second part of the talk I will focus on energy storage  and, particularly, on our recent progresses on the exploitation of graphene and other 2d crystals in Li-ion batteries [9,10,11].
1. E. Lago et al. RSC Adv. 6, 97931 (2016)
2. P. Toth et al to be submitted
3. In collaboration with Baldassari Cavi s.r.l. (http://www.baldassaricavi.it)
4. In collaboration with Luxottica s.p.a (http://www.luxottica.com/en)
5. In collaboration with Momodesign s.r.l. (http://www.momodesign.com/en/)
6. P. Cataldi, et al., Adv. Electronic Materials 1, 1500224 (2015).
7. P. Cataldi et al. Adv. Electronic Materials (2016).
8. F. Bonaccorso, et al., Science 347, 1246501 (2015).
9. H. Sun et al. Journal of Materials Chemistry A (2016).
10. J. Hassoun, et al. Nano Lett. 14, 4901 (2014).
11. E. Greco et al. to be submitted
12. H. Sun et al. to be sumbitted
*Vittorio Pellegrini is research scientist at the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT) in Genova and director of the IIT Graphene Labs. He is the chair of the executive committee of the European flagship project on graphene (http://graphene-flagship.eu). He is also the Italian representative of the flagship and leader of the work-package Energy Storage. His current interests focus on the exploitation of two-dimensional crystals for energy devices and for applications in composites. Vittorio Pellegrini has published more than 160 peer-reviewed papers. He gave more than 80 invited/keynote talks. He was Fellow of the Italian Academy at Columbia University (USA) in 2008, Winner of Campisano prize for condensed matter physics of the CNR in 2008. Director of the international schools of the National Research Council on low-dimensional system in 2008, 2010 and 2011. He has been the coordinator and local coordinator of several FET, Marie Curie ITN projects and national projects. He is co-funder of the start-up BeDimensional (www.bedimensional.it). Vittorio Pellegrini is also active in scientific divulgation. He has published several articles for the general public in Italian newspapers and routinely gives talks at science festivals and at other public events.